Dallas Getaway

A Dallas getaway is always a good idea. Since this is my third time visiting in the past 15 months, I feel pretty confident making such a bold statement.

90% of my fabulous week in Dallas consisted of puppy snuggles, hanging out with family, and playing board games as much as possible. For the other 10% I managed to tear myself off the couch with the pups to do a little eating – I mean exploring.. Here’s a round up of new finds and old favorites in Dallas!

How am I supposed to leave these faces??

You gotta eat.

In my humble opinion, Texas is the greatest state for BBQ, and Dallas is no exception. So far we’ve checked out 3 spots here on the infamous, infallible Texas Monthly Top 50 list (aka the BBQ bible).

  1. Hutchins – Located about an hour from the heart of Dallas in McKinney, this cafeteria-style spot might have you waiting in line for a minute, but it won’t disappoint. Everybody around here worships this Q so much they just built on more seating and smokers this year. The free peach cobbler may have you wondering if you’ll ever be able to eat again.
  2. Cattleack BBQ – Ooh there is a reason this ranks #3 in the state on the list. Wow. There was pretty much no wait and the brisket and sausage were perfection. The mac & cheese here is tops and I am blessed that I don’t live too close to it. I thought the BBQ was pretty on par with Hutchins, but their jalapeno cheddar sausage wins in my book for having a bit more spice.
  3. Lockhart Smokehouse – If you can only visit one, this still wins for me. Their location in Bishop Arts district beats the other two by far! The BBQ is stellar and I think their sides win (minus the mac). It gets pushed to the top because it’s the only place you can get a damn good margarita to help you digest.

Bishop Arts District

Once you finish off at Lockhart don’t miss exploring the Bishop Arts District. There are so many cool shops and eats here that are worth a stop. I can never resist Strut, the best little fashion boutique on the strip, or checking out the new mugs at Neighborhood. If you’re looking for something a little nicer than Q, hattie’s has one of the best looking brunch menus out there. It’s always fun to pop into the Neighborhood Cellar to hang with the shop dog and do a wine tasting. This trip we discovered the Bishop Cider Company! Their tasting room behind Lockhart offers 8 of their ciders on tap, plus they’re currently making wine too. This destination claims to be the “most independent neighborhood” in Dallas. I think I would agree with that at the moment, but the community is going to have to work to keep that spirit alive. In the year since we’ve visited a few shops have come and gone, some of the street art is gone, and high-rise apartments are building closer and closer. I hope what makes it special can stay intact!

The Farmers Market

Another new find this trip was exploring the Dallas Farmers Market! This is such a fun way to spend a day. Go on the weekend when The Shed is open too for the best of both worlds. The Shed is more of what you would think of as a traditional farmers market. Mostly, there are vendors that come in and set up with their produce, honey, crafts, etc. There’s also a ton of food stands for pretty much anything you could want. The market itself is a huge indoor venue with a bunch of permanent stands selling produce, meat, cheese, fish, you name it! But it’s mainly a ton of restaurants and a couple local breweries that have taps inside. Chelles Macarons were as delightful as they looked, plus the Chicken Tikka Tacos at 8Cloves did not disappoint.

dallas street art

Still on my list..

I would love to take a trip to Dallas next fall just to check out the arboretum! They go all out for autumn and put on an incredible pumpkin festival. You’ve probably even seen pictures of their set up on Pinterest and not realized it. Seriously, go watch their video and see this magic for yourself.

The Bishop Cidercade! We didn’t go here because there is a $10 cover. That still makes me cringe a little, but all the arcade games are totally free. After learning the 20+ ciders available on tap are all theirs, I’m way more interested in checking it out to try more of their stuff.

More suggestions for you!

Vintage Shopping – Lula B’s (Max’s #1 stop)

Brunch – The Old Monk, Sixty Vines

Cheese/Wine – Scardello’s (we NEVER miss this!!)

Tacos – Torchy’s (don’t skip the queso!)

Healthy Noms – True Food Kitchen (who know vegan cheese could taste so good!!), Flower Child

Vegan Bakery – Unrefined (get there early for the best selection!)

Dallas Museum of Art (it’s FREE!)

scardellos dallas cheese
We’ll take one of each please!

A Little About Moe

Hey there! My name is Moe and I'm an avid beauty lover with a passion for traveling and Texas BBQ. Hang around for all my ramblings on the latest lipsticks, my favorite tacos, fun face masks, and more!

Join the Club

Drop a Comment